A Medicare Benefits Schedule update was released on 1 July 2018 with the addition of two new MRI Prostate item numbers.
Suspected Prostate Cancer (63541)
- Digital Rectal Examination (DRE) suspicious for prostate cancer
- Under 70 years with two PSA over 3 and free/total is less than 25%
- Under 70 years with two PSA over 3 and second over 5
- Under 70 years and family history (risk x2) with two PSA over 2 and free/total is less than 25%
- Over 70 years with two PSA over 5.5 and free/total is less than 25%
(Note: Two PSA must be within 1-3 month interval)
Surveillance of Prostate Cancer (63543)
- Under active surveillance following a confirmed diagnosis of prostate cancer by biopsy histopathology; and the patient is not planning or undergoing treatment for prostate cancer
- Clinical concern the prostate cancer has progressed based on PSA progression
This specialised procedure is available at Dr Jones & Partners St Andrew’s Hospital clinic and Kurralta Park.
For more information contact Administration on (08) 8309 2202.